OBA: Receiving a Complaint and Initiating the Investigation
Facilitating workplace harassment investigations in a fair and compliant manner can be a difficult undertaking, with many decisions to be made on a relatively short timeline. At this program, we will outline employers’ responsibilities as well as provide practical advice about when a workplace harassment investigation is required and other important considerations at the outset of an investigation. This will be followed by an in-depth look at some of the issues that arise in the course of a workplace investigation and an employer’s responsibilities following the investigator’s work. Our faculty will dive into tricky issues that often emerge, including privilege considerations, the role of external counsel and maintaining confidentiality.
Nadia Zaman joins other lawyers to discuss Receiving a Complaint and Initiating the Investigation.
- When is an investigation required
- Determining the scope of the investigation (informal vs. formal)
- When to consider retaining an external investigator
- Considering interim measures (different reporting structure, leave of absence)
- Managing confidentiality considerations
Full program information can be found on the OBA website.