- This event has passed.
Optimum Talent – COVID-19 and the Workplace: What You Need to Know
May 22, 2020 @ 1:00 pm EDT
The COVID-19 virus has impacted almost every aspect of our lives on a global level. Among other things, it has devastated the economy, forced some businesses to close entirely and caused many more to experience a dramatic drop in revenue. Businesses are struggling and employees are scared, and our governments are all introducing measures to help shift the financial burden and allow businesses to stay afloat.
Stuart Rudner (Employment Lawyer and Mediator) and Nadia Zaman (Employment Lawyer) of Rudner Law will discuss the programs and assistance available to employers as they seek to reduce labour costs, the risks of options like layoffs and wage reductions, and the requirement to maintain a safe work environment.
Ultimately, they want to ensure that everyone is making informed decisions.
During the course of the discussion, Nadia and Stuart will answer questions such as:
- What is the risk to laying off employees?
- How does the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy work and who qualifies?
- How do all of the different programs like the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy and the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, inter-relate?
- What if an employee refuses to come to work?
- Can you reduce an employee’s hours, and how does the Work Sharing Program work?
They will also address common misconceptions, such as the notion that employers can unilaterally lay employees off at any time.