Skip to content
HR Lawyers, Employment Lawyers, Workplace Lawyers...whatever you call us, you'll be glad you did.
Text Us: 416-864-8500  |   Meet Us: Employees / Employers |   Phone Us: 416-864-8500


Is there any way that I can undo a termination if I change my mind?

Terminating an employee is like scrambling an egg – it can be incredibly difficult to undo. In a perfectly smooth termination scenario you would present the employee with their exit package, they would take a few days to review (likely with their own lawyer), and then sign off on your offer as well as sign a release formalizing that the relationship is over and they will not pursue any legal claims. However, just as some employees will try to pull back on their resignation, some employers may have second thoughts about terminating an employee. 

If your lawyer is negotiating an employee’s exit with that employee’s lawyer, and reinstatement is an option that you would consider, speak with your lawyer about your potential options. This is not always a workable scenario given the circumstances that can surround a termination, but there are cases where it has worked well. An employee is responsible for mitigating their losses, or finding new employment, and offering them employment could potentially reduce your severance obligations. Speak with your lawyer to see if it is a potential option and how it could feasibly work. 

Employment Lawyers - Rudner Law
Alternative Dispute Resolution Rudner Law

Rudner Law
15 Allstate Parkway
Suite 600
Markham, ON
L3R 5B4

Phone: 416-864-8500
Text: 416-864-8500


Google Rating
Based on 65 reviews
Rudner Law - Employment Lawyers
ADR Services for Employment Law
Back To Top