You’re Fired! Just Cause for Dismissal in Canada
Stuart is the author of ‘You’re Fired! Just Cause for Dismissal in Canada.’
“I wrote You’re Fired! because I want to help people understand their legal rights and obligations so they can avoid costly mistakes. When it comes to employment law, an ounce of prevention is truly worth a pound of cure.”
You’re Fired! Just Cause for Dismissal in Canada (Carswell, 2011) is a practical reference guide for employment law practitioners, human resources professionals and business people. It focuses on the law of summary dismissal in Canada and provides a thorough review of the law to help clarify what is and is not just cause for dismissal. The commentary and case studies help readers understand the types of behaviours that can constitute just cause for dismissal, the requirements for appropriate investigations prior to dismissal, and key cases where courts have considered allegations of just cause for dismissal. This well-written and comprehensive textbook provides legal advice to employers, employees, and their legal counsel, as to whether summary dismissal is appropriate in a particular circumstance.
Stuart has also contributed to several other texts in the area of Canadian Employment and HR Law, including:
- Employment Law Chapter, Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Canadian Precedents of Pleadings (Carswell 2010)
- Your Toughest HR Questions…Answered (Carswell 2013)
- Employment and Labour chapter, Business Laws of Canada (West Publishing 2010)
- Canadian Employment Law Answers (Carswell 2008)
- Lexis Practice Advisor
- Workplace Bullying: The Pandemic Within by Shelley Boulet (FriesenPress 2021)
At the request of UKG, Stuart wrote the Canadian HR Law Guide, which provides a handy overview of the various laws across Canada.