In my latest Canadian HR Law blog post, I provided some tips on how parties should approach mediation. These are based on my experience as counsel and as a mediator. They include:
- Focus on the future, not the past
- Let reason, not emotion, rule
- Take time to assess your BATNA
- Don’t overestime the value of having your ‘day in court’
- Come with authority to settle, and with flexibility
- Take advantage of the opportunity to settle – but don’t feel pressured
Follow the link to read the full article and all the tips and suggestions on effective mediations.